How do dental crowns and dental bridges work?
Both dental crown procedure and dental bridges procedure are fixed prosthetic restorations. They are cemented onto the existing teeth or dental implants permanently, unlike removable dentures, which you can take out daily.
A dental crown is a part of the tooth that is visible in the mouth, above the gum line on the lower teeth and below the gum line on the upper teeth. Dental crowns are also known as “caps” installed over a tooth, which preserve the functionality of damaged teeth. The main purpose of a crown is to restore a tooth with a custom-designed material A dental crown may be used to protect a cracked tooth, restore functionality of a tooth with excessive decay or replace a missing crown. We offer dental crowns Warsaw and other cities of Poland.
Dental bridges fill in the gap created by one or, in most cases, more missing teeth. Dental bridges are supported by either natural teeth or dental implants. The part of dental bridges:
– abutment teeth or pillar teeth – which are the anchoring teeth for the bridges
– two crowns – one on each abutment tooth on either side of the gap
– artificial tooth/teeth located between the abutment teeth
The artificial teeth are called pontics and can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain or a combination of these materials.
As with dental crowns, there is a wide range of materials for teeth bridges. The dentist, based on the location of the missing teeth, function and aesthetic considerations will help you decide which is the best for you. Porcelain bridges can be easily adjusted to the color of your natural teeth.
The effects of crowns and bridges treatments can last a lifetime. The most important step you have to take to ensure the longevity of your crown or bridge is to keep good oral hygiene. Dental crowns come loose and bridges can lose its support if the teeth are damaged by dental disease. To keep gums and teeth healthy everyone should brush them twice a day and floss daily. Very important are also regular check ups and visits with dentist, who can recommend professional hygiene cleanings.
To prevent damage to your new dental crown and bridge it is advised to avoid chewing hard foods, ice or other hard objects. Applying the above tips, you can enjoy a long-term effect of prosthetic treatment and a beautiful, healthy smile.
Benefits of dental crowns and bridges in Poland
Beyond the commonly known benefit of a better appearance of teeth, the dental crowns in Poland can also:
- Support a tooth damaged by tooth decay
- Restore a tooth after a root canal
- Keep together a severely cracked or broken tooth
- Protect a worn tooth
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Improve the appearance of deformed teeth
- Mask tooth discoloration
- Resist discolorations – porcelain dental crowns are stain resistant
- Cover a tooth implant
- Improve speech – restoring missing teeth with crowns can help a patient speak confidently
Side effects of dental crowns and bridges
However, as with any other interference with the human body, there is risk and the possibility of occurrence of side effects, which includes:
- Infection, which can occur when the tooth is not thoroughly cleaned out and sealed
- Allergic reaction the materials used during the dental crown procedure.
- Tooth decay, which may occur in situations when the crown is not properly sealed and bacteria can accumulate and damage the tooth.
- Shifting of the crown – over time, the crown can become loose or dislodged. Patients should have their crown replaced after 10 to 15 years (it depends on the material and applied technology)
There are also some side effects possible after the treatment, such as:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold foods
- Discomfort when chewing food
- Tender gums
Each symptom out of the ones indicated above should be reported and consulted with a dentist immediately to find out if there is a serious problem. This type of prosthetics treatment is covered by the warranty, so any side effects are fixed without additional cost.